The Online Advantage
Learn from anywhere, according to your own schedule
Balance your studies with other life commitments
Enjoy small class sizes and close online interactions with faculty and peers
Complete your study all year round, part-time or full time
Choose from Fall, Spring, and Summer start points
With You All The Way
Our trained Enrollment and Executive Coaches will help you through each step of the educational process, from exploring available programs to completing your degree and beyond. Your coaches can help you to:
- Navigate the admissions process and connect you with campus resources
- Discover, track and achieve your personal, educational, and career goals
The Master of Information has a rolling application deadline, but the sooner you apply, the better.
- Application for admission
- Official transcripts or previous academic work
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official GRE scores (for students with a GPA below 3.0)*
- Personal statement
- A $65 non-refundable application fee
- TOEFL scores (for international applicants)
*See Program Details for additional information
Gain Our Students' Perspective
“I chose to be an online-only student because I had obligations with work and home, but even if I hadn’t, I would still make the same choice. I was able to make some big trips without having to worry about how I would get my school work done. My favorite experience was getting the opportunity to take a course in England for two weeks.”
“In an age of big data, I have learned about applying statistical analysis to data sets, as well as utilizing information visualization programs to better represent large data sets to the human eye. Whether I was taking a class on cataloging and classification or a course on reference services, the faculty have encouraged and challenged me to develop the talents necessary to become an excellent information professional.”
Why Choose a Rutgers Master of Information?
Unlock Opportunity for a Dynamic Information Career
Information means more than knowledge, it means solutions. When technology, people and information intersect, society and industry benefit. You can harness the power of information with our online Master of Information degree.
Put your newly earned knowledge and skills to work in a variety of settings inside and outside the world of librarianship. Connect communities. Help organizations and businesses secure, organize and leverage digital resources.
Turn your expertise into enterprise and your acumen into activism with our online Master of Information degree.
With an online information degree from Rutgers, you can:
- Learn to maximize the potential of emerging information and communication technologies
- Specialize your degree with concentrations, including Library & Information Science, Data Science, and Technology, Information and Management.
- Prepare for a range of careers in the information industry, such as data analysis and management, digital assets and archives management, information architecture and competitive intelligence
- Take advantage of our affordable, nationally competitive tuition
- Join a vast alumni network of library and information science professionals
Study in a Top MI Program
- Ranked #6 nationally in Library & Information Science/Studies by U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked #2 in School Library Media by U.S. News & World Report
- American Library Association accredited
- Member of iSchools organization dedicated to advancing the information field
Explore Our Curriculum
The Master of Information degree adds versatility in curriculum and professional opportunities. Our 36-credit program integrates theory and practice, preparing you for the workplace. To meet your unique interests and career goals, an advisor will help you choose courses from among our concentrations, or you can opt for a general MI program.
Choose from Our Concentrations
- Library and Information Science
- Data Science
- Technology, Information and Management
What does this mean for you?
These concentrations add versatility and professional opportunities that reflect the changing roles of information professionals. More data is being mined than ever before. Unparalleled access to information has transformed nearly every industry from health care to finance to logistics. For you, this means an opportunity to analyze and visualize how people, communities and information intersect. Careers include data analyst, metadata specialist, knowledge manager, information architect, information technology specialist, usability designer, database administrator, business intelligence analyst and many more.