Starting a new business is exciting and comes with unique challenges that new entrepreneurs should be aware of as they develop, launch, and grow their brand. The smartest entrepreneurs are those that understand their strengths and weaknesses. They know when to use the resources available to them, but where are those resources? They are found all over the place, from business organizations like the Small Business Administration (SBA) and local economic groups. To make it easy for business owners to find what they needed to help their business succeed, we’ve collected and organized the following business resources. Whether you need to read up on how to create a business plan for your first venture or you need help getting a better grasp on the accounting and financial aspects of a new business, you’ll find a resource to help you and your business rise above the many different challenges ahead.
Startup Business Ideas
- 50 Startup Ideas to Begin at University: Here, you’ll discover a list of 50 excellent ideas that can help you make money, start a business, and expand your horizons while attending college.
- How to Find Profitable Startup Ideas: This in-depth article explores how to discover your very own startup ideas and how to ensure that they are profitable in the future.
- Ten Low-Cost Business Ideas: You don’t need to spend a lot of money out of pocket to begin a successful business venture. This article lists ten ideas that will get you started without requiring a lot of startup costs.
- Four Steps to Identify the Right Startup Idea: The Small Business Administration offers four important steps to help you find the right startup idea that will work with your goals and needs.
- Start a New Business Despite a Rough Economy: Read this article for four steps to help you start your own business, even during an economic downturn.
- Write a Business Plan: This helpful page will walk you through writing your own business plan, even if you don’t have a bachelor’s in accounting or business.
- Business Plan Help and Guidelines (PDF): Discover more about why business plans are important, how to write one, and more with this informative document.
- How to Write a Business Plan: This website will walk you through the aspects of writing your business plan from the executive summary all the way to financial projections.
- Business Planning for Nonprofits: If you’re considering starting a nonprofit, this page offers helpful information about how to write a business plan and an abundance of tools and resources to help you along.
- Why You Need to Write a Business Plan: Explore the many important reasons why small business owners should write and develop an effective plan.
Communication and Outreach
- Strategic Communications: Click here to discover what strategic communications entail and how you can help your business with community outreach, marketing, and better overall communication.
- Business Writing Tips: As a business owner, communication is key. This article discusses important tips to ensure that your business-related writing is done professionally and effectively.
- Five Tips for More Effective Business Communication: These tips will help you improve communication between coworkers, fellow business owners, and your customers.
- Successful Networking Tips: This helpful article contains several important tips that will help you improve your networking skills no matter what your goals are, from changing careers to starting a business.
- Five Effective Community Outreach Ideas for Small Businesses: Not only is community outreach important for those who need it, but it’s also an excellent way to spread awareness of your small business to those living around you. This article offers five simple, effective ways to participate.
- Opening and Marketing: This website offers a checklist to help you before you start your business as well as information about effective marketing strategies.
- Basic Elements of a Marketing Plan (PDF): Find a detailed outline that showcases the basic, yet important elements to help you develop your own marketing plan in this document.
- Developing a Marketing Plan: This brief article covers why a marketing plan is important for your small business and what it can do for you.
- Marketing Plan Outline: Read here to explore why a marketing plan is important, what you should do before developing a plan, and the important sections that should be included in your plan.
- Does Your Business Have a Marketing Plan? Learn more about the important reasons why you should have a business marketing plan in place and how one can help your business grow.
- Marketing Tactics for Appealing to Generation Z: Today’s generation presents new challenges for business owners. Read here to learn about some tactics you can use to effectively market to Generation Z.
Accounting and Finance
- Business Finance Do’s and Don’ts: Here are some helpful do’s and don’ts from finance gurus that can help you stay profitable even through slower times.
- Accounting Tips for Small Business Startups: Before you start to make money, read these tips that will help you keep your finances on track.
- Five Useful Accounting Tips for Small Businesses: These five tips will help to ensure that your finances and your money grow.
- Financial Planning Tips for Small Business Owners: As a business owner, it’s important to keep track of your finances and plan ahead. This article discusses some helpful tips that will keep your money well-managed.
- Keeping Small Business Affairs Separate From Family Life: This page discusses why you should separate your business-related finances from family finances.
- How to Find an Accountant for Your Startup: Enlisting the help of a professional accountant is important for any business. This article delves into how you can find the right accountant for your small business needs.
- Five Small Business Accounting Tasks to Perform Every Month: Here are five important financial tasks every small business should do each month to ensure that the business is running smoothly.
- Best Practices for Business Money Management: This infographic explores cash flow, why it’s essential, and the challenges you may face as a small business owner.
- Start With Security: This page from the Federal Trade Commission discusses the importance of proper security that can help keep your business protected.
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Directory: Find your local chamber of commerce here so you can connect with local assistance, marketing partners, and other small businesses in your area.
- Pros and Cons of Buying a Franchise: Should you start a franchise of someone else’s business instead of creating your own from the ground up?
- Best Safety Practices: When it comes to making and selling a product, safety is important. Read here to find out about the best practices for your business in regard to safety.
- Hiring Tips for Small Businesses: The EEOC offers ten helpful tips when it comes to hiring employees and creating a positive work environment.
- Types of Business Taxes: Read about the important classifications of business taxes from the IRS.
- Trademark Basics: This website offers essential information for businesses about trademarks.
- OSHA Answers for Small Business Employers: If you have employees, read here for some important questions and answers from OSHA about health and safety at the workplace.
- FAQs for Small Businesses: These frequently asked questions cover everything from starting your business to marketing, plans, finances, and legal implications for your business.
- Best Online MBA Programs: Interested in growing your career in business? Pursue your goals with a Rutgers Online MBA